Mexican Lentils with Black Beans and Rice
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked green lentils rinsed
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle powder optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup fire roasted tomatoes drained
- 1 can (4 oz) diced green chiles
- 1 small zucchini shredded
- 1/2 cup corn canned or frozen and defrosted
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- cilantro for garnish optional
Heat a large pot or saucepan over medium high heat.
Spray with cooking oil. Sauté onion and garlic for two minutes.
Add brown rice, lentils, and vegetable stock. Stir and bring to a boil.
Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to low.
Simmer for 30-40 minutes, or until lentils and rice are tender.
Drain any excess liquid.
Season rice and lentils with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin and chipotle powder.
Add in remaining ingredients except 1/4 cup of cheese and stir .
Heat mixture until cheese is melted.
Top with remaining cheese and cover with lid.
Heat on low until cheese is melted and mixture is bubbly.
Recipe modified from pulses.org