Spinach and Black Bean Enchiladas
Recipe Source: foodhero.org
- 1 10 oz bag frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups corn (thawed from frozen or canned and drained)
- 3 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups enchilada sauce (see notes)
- 8 whole wheat flour tortillas
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Drain all excess moisture from thawed spinach.
In a large bowl, combine spinach, beans, corn, green onions, cilantro and 1 ½ cups of cheese.
Lightly spray a 9x13 inch baking dish, and add a small amount enchilada sauce to coat the bottom.
Fill tortillas with spinach mixture. Roll up tightly and place seam side down in the baking dish.
Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle remaining ½ cup of cheese on top.
Bake for 20 minutes, or until enchiladas are heated through and cheese is bubbly. Serve warm.
Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours
Make your own enchilada sauce!
¼ cup tomato paste
¼ cup flour
2 teaspoons cumin
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon pepper
3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- Combine tomato paste, flour, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and pepper in a saucepan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.