Chickpea Vegetable Soup
Image Source/ Recipe Source:www.cookingnytimes.com
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 10 oz package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
In a saucepan, warm oil over moderate heat. Add onion, garlic, and sweet potatoes; saute 5 minutes.
Stir in broth, bay leaf, basil, thyme, and paprika. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium low. Cover. Simmer until vegetables are tender but not mushy, about 15 minutes.
Stir in tomato, green beans, and chickpeas. Simmer uncovered until tender, about 10 minutes more. Serve hot.