Remote Nutrition Education Specialist
The Nutrition Education Specialist is responsible for educating clients and agencies about the importance of nutrition, to support the growing number of nutrition professionals in the network, and to identify current and potential resources of nutritious food available to members.
- Plan, administer, and coordinate nutrition education classes utilizing evidencebased materials at Summer Feeding sites, after school programs, food pantries and other community organizations that serve low income persons.
- Utilize learner-centered and facilitated group discussion teaching techniques to enhance effectiveness of nutrition education sessions.
- Provide Nutrition Education Program Manager with the reports and documents needed to compile monthly reports and provide administrative compliance as required by regulatory agencies.
- Upon direction of the Nutrition Education Program Manager, research, develop, and maintain aspects of the nutrition curriculum designed for children and adults for use by programs and agencies.
- Provide feedback on policies, procedures, and curriculum regularly to reflect current nutrition education standards, trends, and regular program evaluation.
- Use evaluation tools to measure educational impact of classes on target population.
- Assure compliance with partnership agreement between Share Our Strength and ETFB for Cooking Matters educational classes.
- Provide internal educational awareness to volunteers as well as site wellness programs for food bank staff.
- Provide support to partner agencies to increase nutritional value of partner agency orders by helping develop recipes for their pantry boxes and provide nutrition education workshops and food demonstrations on site at partner agency locations.
- Complete Healthy Pantry Assessments as needed.
- Complete Partners in Health distributions as needed.
- Plan and provide information and displays for health and community fairs.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in nutrition, health, or relevant field
- English and Spanish strongly preferred
- Food Handlers Certification
- 2 years’ experience in a nonprofit organization or classroom environment preferred, experience with curriculum development a plus
Skills and Abilities
- Technologically proficient. Intermediate skill level in Microsoft Office programs and ability to learn new software systems
- Must have strong organizational skills
- Self-starter, highly motivated, dynamic, and creative professional with entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong interpersonal and time management skills
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to implement instructions
- Ability to successfully teach and motivate others
- Ability to compassionately work with diverse people
- Ability to multi-task
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, English and Spanish preferable
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision with attention to detail, accuracy
- Ability to successfully develop, implement, and manage multiple projects from start to finish
- This is a remote position requiring travel over 75% of the time to various agency and service area locations.
- This position will be based in NE Texas in or between Mount Pleasant and Texarkana.
- A telecommuting agreement will be required and an adequate office space at home will be necessary to work effectively.
- This position requires some physical activity such as lifting and carrying up to 20 pounds.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and levels of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties.
Qualified candidates may email resume and cover letter to Kinsey Thompson, Nutrition Education Manager at email@example.com..