Nutrition Education Specialist
The Nutrition Education Specialist is responsible for educating clients and agencies about the importance of nutrition, to support the growing number of nutrition professionals in the network, and to identify current and potential resources of nutritious food available to members.
- Plan, administer, and coordinate nutrition education classes utilizing evidence-based materials at Summer Feeding sites, after-school programs, food pantries and other community organizations that serve low-income persons.
- Utilize learner-centered and facilitated group discussion teaching techniques to enhance effectiveness of nutrition education sessions.
- Provide Nutrition Education Program Manager with the reports and documents needed to compile monthly reports and provide administrative compliance as required by regulatory agencies.
- Upon direction of the Nutrition Education Program Manager, research, develop, and maintain aspects of the nutrition curriculum designed for children and adults for use by programs and agencies.
- Provide feedback on policies, procedures, and curriculum regularly to reflect current nutrition education standards, trends, and regular program evaluation.
- Use evaluation tools to measure educational impact of classes on target population.
- Assure compliance with partnership agreement between Share Our Strength and ETFB for Cooking Matters educational classes.
- Provide internal educational awareness to volunteers as well as site wellness programs for food bank staff.
- Provide support to partner agencies to increase nutritional value of partner agency orders by helping develop recipes for their pantry boxes and provide nutrition education workshops and food demonstrations on-site at partner agency locations.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in nutrition, health, or relevant field
- Bilingual in English and Spanish very strongly preferred
- 2 years experience in a nonprofit organization or classroom environment preferred, experience with curriculum development a plus
Skills and Abilities
- Technologically proficient. Intermediate skill level in Microsoft Office programs and ability to learn new software systems
- Must have strong organizational skills
- Self-starter, highly motivated, dynamic, and creative professional with entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong interpersonal and time management skills
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to implement instructions
- Ability to successfully teach and motivate others
- Ability to compassionately work with diverse people
- Ability to foster a team environment
- Ability to multi-task
- Effective written and verbal communication skills,
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision with attention to detail, accuracy, and meeting of deadlines
- Knowledge of the East Texas area and its diverse communities, including hunger and poverty issues
- Ability to successfully develop, implement, and manage multiple projects from start to finish.
- This position works in an office environment but also requires travel approximately 50% of the time to various agencies and off-site locations.
- This position requires some physical activity such as lifting and carrying up to 20 pounds.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and levels of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties.
Resumes should be sent to:
East Texas Food Bank
C/O Human Resources
3201 Robertson Road
Tyler, TX 75701
Or via email at HRDir@easttexasfoodbank.org.
East Texas Food Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer.