Nutrition Education Specialist
The Nutrition Education Specialist is responsible for educating clients and agencies about the importance of nutrition, supporting the growing number of nutrition professionals in the network, and identifying current and potential resources of nutritious food available to members.
- Plan, administer, and coordinate nutrition education classes utilizing evidence based materials at Summer Feeding sites, after-school programs, food pantries and other community organizations that serve low-income persons.
- Plan, administer, and coordinate Nutrition Education classes including Share Our Strength’s Cooking Matters, Summer Feeding, after-school programs and other classes for low-income persons.
- Provide nutrition training to food bank agency network to increase understanding of how agencies can incorporate nutrition in many aspects of their operations.
- Develop, maintain, and enhance external relationships with appropriate nutrition and public health organizations.
- Compile monthly reports and administrative compliance as required by regulatory agencies.
- Maintain and grow participation with UT Tyler Department of Health Sciences internship program
- Upon direction of Communications and Nutrition Education Manager, research, develop, and maintain aspects of the nutrition curriculum designed for children and adults for use by programs and agencies.
- Provide feedback on policies, procedures, and curriculum regularly to reflect current nutrition education standards, trends, and regular program evaluation.
- Assure compliance with partnership agreement between Share Our Strength and ETFB for Cooking Matters educational classes.
- Provide internal Educational awareness to volunteers as well as site wellness programs for food bank staff.
- In partnership with the Communications and Nutrition Education Manager, develop, coordinate and distribute nutrition education information sheets for various box programs such as Senior Box, Mobile Pantry, Senior Servings and the Back Pack Program.
- Help food bank determine possible baseline nutritional value of food bank product by using a nutritional evaluation tool (interfaced with CERES).
- Provide support to partner agencies to increase nutritional value of partner agency orders by helping develop recipes for their pantry boxes and provide nutrition education workshops and food demonstrations on site at partner agency locations.
- Provide guidance on nutritious menus for Backpack, Kid’s Care, Senior Box Program, Healthcare Partnerships, and other programs.
- Plan and provide information and displays for health and community fairs.
- All other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in nutrition, health, or relevant field
- Food Safety Manager Certification
- Certification as a Registered Dietician, preferred
- 2 years’ experience in a nonprofit organization or classroom environment preferred, experience with curriculum development a plus
Skills and Abilities
- Technologically proficient. Intermediate skill level in Microsoft Office programs and ability to learn new software systems
- Must have strong organizational skills
- Self-starter, highly motivated, dynamic, and creative professional with entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong interpersonal and time management skills
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to implement instructions
- Ability to successfully teach and motivate others
- Ability to compassionately work with diverse people
- Ability to foster a team environment
- Ability to multi-task
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, English and Spanish preferable
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision with attention to detail, accuracy
- Ability to successfully develop, implement, and manage multiple projects from start to finish
- This position works in an office environment but also requires travel approximately 50% of the time to various agencies and off site locations.
- This position requires some physical activity such as lifting and carrying up to 20 pounds.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and levels of work to be performed and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties.
Qualified candidates may email resume and cover letter to Human Resources at HRDir@easttexasfoodbank.org.