White Bean Pasta Fagioli Soup
1 hr 10 mins
1 hr 30 mins
- 2/3 cup dried white great northern or navy beans
- 2/3 cup dried red kidney beans
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage mild or spicy
- 1/2 onion diced
- 3 tsp garlic minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes not drained
- 2 celery ribs chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped or sliced carrots
- 1 cup pasta boiled til tender
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper or to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp dried Italian blend seasoning OR substitute ½ teaspoon each dried basil, dried thyme, and dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ◾ fresh basil
- ◾ cracked black pepper
- ◾ grated parmesan cheese for topping
First prepare the beans. Cover beans with cold water and soak overnight or 6-8 hours, then drain and rinse.
Combine beans in a large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat slightly and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally until beans are tender and cooked through.
Preheat your instant pot using the "saute" setting, then add Italian sausage, and onions and saute for 3-5 minutes until sausage is browned. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes longer until fragrant.
Switch instant pot to the "soup" setting. Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, celery, carrots, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and Italian seasoning and stir to combine.
Lock the lid in place and set the pressure release to "sealing". Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Allow the pot to sit for 3-4 minutes and then turn the release valve for a "quick release."
Stir in ditalini pasta, garnish with cracked black pepper, fresh basil, and grated parmesan cheese if desired and serve.