- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup dry lentils rinsed
- 1 cup diced potato
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp chili powder or to taste
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 low-sodium beef broth
- 1 14.5 ounce can tomatoes
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas/garbanzo beans drained and rinsed, or about 2 cups boiled*
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper or to taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a large, heavy saucepan, cook onion and garlic in oil for 3 to 4 minutes. Add lentils, and stir to coat them with oil.
Add potatoes, carrots, bell pepper, chili powder, water, and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer about 25 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
Add tomatoes, breaking them up as you do, and tomato sauce, chickpeas, and red pepper. Simmer for another 15 minutes. Season to taste with red pepper, salt, and black pepper.