Charles is waiting in line to pick up fresh vegetables. Twice a month, the East Texas Food Bank partners with Mission Marshall to distribute fresh produce and other foods to those in need in Harrison County.
“I’m retired. It’s a great help, I’m able to get fresh stuff to eat,” said Charles.
Charles is not alone. Each month, 1,000 families are served with this produce distribution according to Misty Scott with Mission Marshall, an East Texas Food Bank partner agency.
“We get potatoes, onions, peppers and sometimes carrots, cabbages and greens,” said Charles.
Charles admits that it would be “a blow below the belt” if this produce distribution was cut off.
“These people that help, they are God’s gift. They could be somewhere else, but they are volunteering to help feed hungry people,” said Charles.
“I’m getting produce that I can’t afford to buy in the store,” said Joan.
With just income from Social Security, Joan says the produce and other items she receives is a real benefit.
“We never know what we are going to get when we come,” said Joan.
“We’re just thankful for what we do get,” said Linda. “With some of the bills, it’s really hard to pay all of those and buy groceries.”
“I’m here to pick up produce that’s just too expensive in the store,” Gregoria said.
“This is my first time to come. It’s been really good,” Gregoria said adding that she was able to pick up some apples and potatoes.
Gregoria works three days a week, so money is really limited.
“This helps me to have fresh vegetables to eat…it really makes a difference,” she said.
For more information about Fresh Produce Program, contact Kirk Goodman. Donate to the Fresh Produce Program
- Atlanta - New Birth of Hope, 303 Johns Street
3rd Thursday of each month - 9:00am - 10:00am
- Canton - St. Terese Catholic Charities, 14786 FM 859
1st Thursday of each month - 9:00am - 12:00pm
- Carthage - Mission Carthage, 940 E. Sabine
1st Wednesday of each month - 10:30am
- Center - Tri-County, 115 Teneha Street
4th Wednesday of each month - 10:00am
- Centerville - Downtown Square
1st Thursday of each month - 12:00pm
- Daingerfield - Our Lady of Fatima, 1305 Burt St.
2nd Monday of each month - 2:00pm
- Frankston - Rainbow House
Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday (903-876-2235)
- Jefferson - First United Methodist Church, 305 W. Henderson
3rd Saturday of each month - 10:00am -12:00pm
- Longview - Longview Dream Center, 803 Gilmer Road
2nd & 4th Saturday - 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Malakoff - 220 Mitcham St.
1st Tuesday of each month - 12:30pm
- Marshall - Immanuel Baptist Church, 2408 W. Pinecrest
1st & 3rd Friday of each month - 11:00am -1:00pm
- Naples - Hands Extended, 105 Pace Street
Every Tuesday & Friday - 10:00am -11:00am
- Palestine - First Resource Center, 801 N. Sycamore
1st Thursday of each month - 7:00am
- Pittsburg - God's Closet, 129 Jefferson
1st & 3rd Monday of each month - 10:00am - 12:00pm
- San Augustine - Caring & Sharing, 405 S. Bolivar
2nd Wednesday of each month - 8:30am -11:30am
- Texarkana - Friendship Center, 620 W. Fourth
2nd & 4th Thursday of each month - 10:00am - 12:00pm
- Texarkana - Flower Acres, 3000 Flower Acres Road
2nd & 4th Thursday of each month - 10:30am - 12:00pm